Thursday, September 20, 2012

Safety advisor, 39, quits job to become Clint Eastwood lookalike after colleagues tell him he looks like the famed Director, actor and political activist

A safety advisor for a major oil company has quit his job as a Safety advisor to become a Clint Eastwood lookalike.

Aroby Arby, 39, is constantly mistaken for Clint Eastwood, in fact, even his girlfriend can't tell the two apart.

He now squeezes out a pretty meagre existence charging up to 50E a day for public appearances.

Spot the differences

"People would point and say, "That's him!". Aroby understood this to mean he looked remarkably similar to Clint Eastwood.

Aroby knew it was time to throw in his work at an oil and gas major after he deducted that many colleagues were probably mistaking him for Clint Eastwood.  "People would come in and point at me and say "That's him, that's the Space Cowboy" (a classic Eastwood flick from 2000) or as they passed my room would scream "Hang him High!" ['68], with a comic-menacing grin.  It was getting ridiculous."

But the real tipping point came when Aroby found his colleagues had not only entered him in, but had initiated a Company "Dead Pool" ['88] specifically in his honour.  A dead pool is common in workplaces, whereby colleagues assemble a collection of usually-celebrities and place small bets on who is most likely to pass away earliest.  "Yeah, I mean, I don't usually go for these things, but sure, this was a real sweet gesture so I put 5E on Obama.  My colleagues, huh, they were joshing me and suggesting I should double up and place it on Aroby Arby!  It's important to have kidders like that in the workplace - it's what I go - uh, went, to work for!" says Aroby.

Aroby Arby's Gran Torino
Aroby first played along, trading in his Nissan Almera hatch for a beaten up Gran Torino.   "I'd get colleagues to guess how many office-stressballs I'd fired at them in the past hour... "I know what you're thinking, did he fire 5 stressballs or 6..... Now to tell you the truth, I forgot, myself, in all this excitement... ask yourself a question, "do I feel lucky".  Haw Haw, yeah, I kind miss it."

The crunch moment was apparently when colleagues found Aroby talking to an empty chair in his office - always the joker!  They insisted he consider leaving and pursuing his real talents. "Without that push, I guess I wouldn't be here to day" says Aroby.

Aroby says weird requests do come in; the weirdest thing he has been asked to do as Clint involved two girls, one cup and a mule and he'd rather not discuss it.  When responding to criticism that there are already enough Lookalikes out there, or that Clint Eastwood is making himself available in person for any kind of engagement (as was shown at the recent Republican Convention), Aroby offers an inspirational note; "It's just was i was born to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment